Friday, May 22, 2020

Looking for help - Selling hits versus affiliate commission

Hey, I'm looking for some advice and feedback - any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I really apologise if this is the wrong sub, but it's the nearest I can find - r/PPC seems to be tailored towards the other end of the model).

I run a few websites which appeal to various industries/locations. I'm hoping to monetise them by selling clicks through to websites directly to businesses. I've been looking everywhere online for resources regarding this (not sure if I'm just searching for the wrong thing), but I don't seem to be able to find any resources.

I'll keep the example of what I'll be doing simple. (Made-up site example): I review hotels in New York, good following, people are interested in my site. I will then approach small hotels in New York and charge them $1 for each click to their booking site which has come from my site. Let's say I generate 30 clicks through to a particular hotel from my site, I then invoice the hotel $30 at the end of the month.

My background is in sales so I have no problem approaching businesses directly. Yes, it will be more time consuming in the short-term but I'm hoping that by the end of the year, I'd have plenty of businesses signed up across the various websites.

The pros for businesses: They get targeted, cheaper than Facebook/Google Ads visitors to their site. A lot of business owners don't have a clue what affiliate marketing is and wouldn't know about setting up a program - I don't want to educate them, I'd find it far smoother to sell them on warm $1 clicks through to their sites. ($1 as an example, to keep it simple). I've already spoken to a couple of local businesses who would give it a go.

Pros for me: I can promote the exact hotel, as well as retain all of the ad spend without a middle platform. If I send 50 leads through to a business one month, I can them bill them for the $50. No point in me writing an article about a particular hotel if the display ad shows an irrelevant one. Besides, the link will be written in an organic way, without it appearing like a banner ad.

I'm just worried because this seems too simple to be true. What are the major drawbacks I'm missing? The thing that is holding me back is that, no matter which way I look at it, I can't see any glaring negatives, and I'm seeing that as a sign that I'm perhaps not looking at it from the right perspective. If I'm getting 5-10K hits a day across all websites, and I can convert a small percentage of that into clicks, then I could easily be generating good revenue from it.

Thank you for reading - I'm grateful. Anything obvious I'm missing? Any good resources to check out?

submitted by /u/CallMeLevel
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

Discover how to make money fast with affiliate marketing - subscribe here!




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Know When You’ve Outgrown HubSpot Sales Hub Starter

For companies looking to get their sales team started with HubSpot Sales Hub, the Starter tier offers a great balance of function and afford...